[mapserver-users] Re: Welcome to mapserver-users

chris_faulkner at anytimenow.com chris_faulkner at anytimenow.com
Tue Jun 11 18:22:38 EDT 2002

Hi

I am on Mandrake 8.1. I have compiled MapServer 3.6 and got the simple cgi demo working. I am now having a serious headache trying to get php_mapscript to work - I'd be grateful for help.

It compiles fine, against a php 4.2.1 source directory. I had to modify the "CC" flag in the Makefile there are two "cc"s in it, but I found the answer to this one on the mail archives. I then also got this error
cc: unrecognized option `-rdynamic-Wl'

but I just put a space in there betweem rdynamic-Wl and it seems to go OK. Now, I am not a C programmer so this has taken some time to sort out.

Anyway, I put the php_mapscript.so into the correct place but when I hit the test page, nothing comes back and I see an error in my Apache error_log
[Tue Jun 11 22:52:14 2002] [notice] child pid 11968 exit signal Segmentation fault (11). I know the .so is in the correct place because the first time I tried the page, I got the phpinfo stuff and a warning that the .so could not be found.

I see that someone else had the same problem in May 2000 but there was nothing in a follow up thread.

So what can I do now ?

I have read the DM Solutions FAQ which is generally useful but since I don't know whether my PHP was compiled with DSO or whether Apache was compiled with -DEAPI its difficult to know what to do with my -rdynamic flags !! I'm just a simple guy who installed from the Mandrake CD !! I have tried with and without the apxs flag but it made no difference (Which involved an install of Apache development - more effort and time !).

Why is it not possible to supply the .so for the most common platforms ? This would save a lot of people a lot of time.

Thanks

Chris