[mapserver-users] GDAL and binary Tiffs

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Jun 12 16:56:11 EDT 2002

Armin Burger wrote:
> Rich,
>
> Thanks very much for the download site. It worked well, only the ECW images
> are not drawn correctly any more when going beyond a higher scale.
>
> I read in a posting of Frank Warmerdam that the support for 24 bit Tiffs is
> planned for future releases. Therefore a question: Will it be possible to use
> 24 bit Tiffs and binary compressed Tiffs together? This happens to be
> necessary when combining aereal photos with scanned black and white (binary)
> topographic maps. I know that this is probably not a very often appearing
> situation for most users.

Armin,

The problem with ECW files is a flaw in GDAL.  It is on my list of things to
fix, but way down that list.  Feel free to kick me now and then if this is
important to you.

It is indeed possible to mix greyscale, paletted, and RGB TIFFs (and any
other GDAL supported raster format such as ECW files).

Note the support is already committed to CVS for the very brave to test.

Best regards,