[mapserver-users] Question about the License.

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Jun 17 21:58:51 EDT 2002

Martin, Daniel wrote:
> I've read over the license, http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/license.html,
> and I have a question.  I can understand the most complex computer
> terminology, yet the simplest legal document leaves my dumbfounded.
> Does the license require open-sourcing derivative works?  It doesn't
> appear to, to me.  But it does say:

Dan,

The license appears to be a stock MIT/X style license.  You may not
"relicense" the provided source modules, nor may you hold the copyright
holder liable for anything.  Other than that you can do whatever you want,
including applying any license you choose to derivitive works, binaries
built straight from the source and so forth.  This is the same license I
use for GDAL.

Obviously, if you are really concerned you could consult a real lawyer.

Best regards,