[mapserver-users] Question about the License.

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Tue Jun 18 17:02:51 EDT 2002

I believe the UMN made the change because "substantial portions" is on
the vague side. This license is not intended to get in anyone's way, but
to ensure that credit is given where credit is due.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> The license appears to be a stock MIT/X style license.  You may not
> "relicense" the provided source modules, nor may you hold the
copyright
> holder liable for anything.  Other than that you can do whatever you
want,
> including applying any license you choose to derivitive works,
binaries
> built straight from the source and so forth.  This is the same
license I
> use for GDAL.

Just for the record, the MapServer license is not exactly a stock
MIT/X
license... they modified the second paragraph.

The second paragraph of the official MIT/X license says:

 "The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be
  included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software."

and in the MapServer license it was modified to say:

 "The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be
  included in all copies of this Software or works derived from
  this Software."

I don't think the modification affects our right to use, modify,
redistribute, etc., but I'm not a lawyer, so ...

 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca