[mapserver-users] Change parameters of the map file

Jan Hartmann jhart at frw.uva.nl
Thu Jun 20 09:33:02 EDT 2002

I had the same kind of problem. Some Mapfile parameters seem to be
changeable by setting an appropriately named CGI variable (e.g. "color" by
"map_layer_class_color"), some not (e.g. "outlinecolor" by
"map_layer_class_outline"). You can use Mapscript for this, but it would be
great if the CGI version of Mapserver was consistently scriptable this way.
There are many situations where a full-fledged Mapserver, with Mapscript
installed, cannot be realized, especially on Windows systems. The CGI
version can be installed in a matter of minutes, even on non dedicated
systems.

BTW, What about creating the same mechanism for the template file? Every
Mapfile parameter could then be read out from the template, like "color" in
"[map_layer_class_color]". It make the CGI version much better programmable
from Javascript of Flash. For dynamically adding layers or classes etc you
would of course  need the script versions. Would this be very difficult to
implement?

Jan Hartmann
Department of Geography
University of Amsterdam