[mapserver-users] classObj mapscript feature request: getClassIndex() method

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Thu Jun 20 13:54:03 EDT 2002

Please add this to bugzilla as a feature request and it'll get added to
3.7. In 3.6 I intended to make a change in how class names were used in
the source, but this was only partially implemented. In 3.7 class names
will be used similar to layer names, as a way to uniquely identify a
class within a layer. They won't be used to build legends, there is a
new parameter called TITLE that will support that. This paves the way
for a couple of things:

  - class status support so you can toggle classes (ON/OFF)
  - name-based access from MapScript and via CGI configuration

With this in place I can add a getClassByName method to MapScript.
There are already getLayerByName and getSymbolByName methods...

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> <imap at chesapeake.net> 05/31/02 09:19AM >>>

Steve/list,

OK, I've got a feature request for classObj... In prior version, we
were able to reference a class by a string, and somewhere around 3.4
or 3.5, this was changed so that it could only be referenced by
class_index... where there is a problem here because there isnt a
method to interrogate a classObj for it's index after it is created
so this has to be handled externally...  It is a pain in the ass to
do this, because you have to maintain a set of variables for layers/
class indexes outside of the mapscript structure.

Going back thru the emails, there was some reference to this issue
in a Sept, 01 email:

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/wilma/mapserver-users/0109/msg00122.html

where you were going to create a mapscript method called
getClassIndex()
which I believe would solve the issue...  This method didnt make it
into
the 3.5 version.  If this hasnt already been implemented, could we add

it to the current version.

I coded a work around for my app, but its butt ugly... so I thought
I would go ahead and remind you (and hold your feet to the fire.  ;)

Thanks,

C. Stuber (mapsurfer)
Silicon Mapping Solutions, Inc
(410)257-3187