[mapserver-users] WMS getcapabilities error: invalid character

Tyler Mitchell TMitchell at lignum.com
Tue Jun 25 18:31:56 EDT 2002

I'm getting this error when I do a getcapabilities to a WMS.  I'm not sure
that I don't have problems with the map file wms settings, but wondered if
anyone can shed some light on it for me.  Is it a bogus message or does it
mean something that my small mind can comprehend?  Is my resource url wrong
in my map file:

Mapfile setting:
    WMS_ONLINERESOURCE "http://localhost/mapserver/mapserv?map=c:
\inetpub\wwwroot\tyler\demo_test.map&"

Does it have to be a internet accessible url?

Here's the error I get (internet exploder).

The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and
then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

A name was started with an invalid character. Line 12, Position 97

  <OnlineResource>http://localhost/mapserver/mapserv?map=c:
\inetpub\wwwroot\tyler\demo_test.map&</OnlineResource>