[mapserver-users] RE: No filter defined on itemquery

Ryan, Adam ARyan at co.linn.or.us
Thu Jun 27 12:30:24 EDT 2002

Tyler, Daniel, et al.

My method may be weird but this is what I do:

With javascript I set some hidden inputs when the user wants to search:

	mapserv.qlayer.value = theqlayer;
	mapserv.mode.value = "itemnquery";
	mapserv.mapext.value = "shapes";
	mapserv.item.value = theitem;
	mapserv.value.value = theitemstring;

the variables:

'theqlayer' is the layer the user picks to search.
'theitem' is the DBase field the user picks.
'itemstring' is the modification of the user's text input with the necessary
punctuation.  I make it a regular expression which both CGI variables
"filteritem" and "value" can handle, i.e. /^12345$/.

Then, I have two other hidden inputs (among many others) in my mapserv form:

	<input type="hidden" name="thislayer_filteritem" value="">
	<input type="hidden" name="thislayer_filter" value="">

With javascript, I set both the VALUE and then the NAME of these hidden
inputs:

	mapserv.thislayer_filteritem.value = theitem;
	mapserv.thislayer_filteritem.name = "map_"+theqlayer+"_filteritem";

	mapserv.thislayer_filter.value = theitemstring;
	mapserv.thislayer_filter.name = "map_"+theqlayer+"_filter";

(obviously you have to set the name AFTER the value - it's tough to
reference it after the name changes.)

Then I submit the form.  This may be a stupid way to do it but it works.
What's cool is that you don't need to mess with filter, filteritem,
classitem or expression in your map file.  You send these as CGI variables
on demand.

I STILL DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE MULTIPLE ITEMS IN A QUERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps,

Adam