[mapserver-users] Compiling freetype

klehr1 at tampabay.rr.com klehr1 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Mar 7 12:17:59 EST 2002

Good morning:

I'm getting the error:   getSymbol(): Symbol definition error. (FONT):(118)

My goal is to get rotating text to work and have downloaded the freetype 1.2 library and the gd-1.8.4 library.

It seems that this version of freetype does not make a libfreetype.a file which is needed to make the symbols work in when compiling mapserver with gd option.

I've searched the archives and help sites, but I'm missing something here---

1.  Download freetype 1.2 and compile (check)
2.  Download gd-1.8.4 and compile with -libttf (check)
3.  Download mapserver_3.5 and configure   ./configure --with-gd=/installs/gd-1.8.4   (since gd is compiled with freetype--though there's no libfreetype.a generated?? I don't need to --with-freetype)

I guess my question is do what version of freetype do I need to make libfreetype.a and do I really need that?

Thanks
Steve Lehr
WebDatabaseSolutions.com