[mapserver-users] Threads and Mapscript

Harald Wehr hwehr at hs-harz.de
Thu Mar 21 04:29:28 EST 2002

Using a cgi-script on a server for every request a new thread is opened,
isn't it?

I use mapscript in a servlet. Every request makes a new thread. I save
one mapObject in one java-session. Several requests (from different
browsers) produce different mapObjects. Everything works right until
here. I have different objects with different c-pointers.

Calling mapscript from one browser works fine. Calling it from another
browser sometimes crashes my servlet-engine. It writes:
"Unexpected exception outside virtual machine
Function=msDrawRasterLayer+0x694
Library=/urs/local/lib/libmapscript.so"
This happens when i call the map.draw()-method. Do you have any suggestions?

What happens when i call
"mapscipt.saveImage(pointer,"file.png",2,1,0,95)" from different
threads? Is this thread-safe even in all depending libraries?

Asking the "mapscript.get_ms_error" from different threads I always get
the same c-pointer of the error. Is this right? Can I somehow get
error-Objects related to specific thread?

Harald