[mapserver-users] OT: Cataloguing masses of spatial data

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Wed May 22 13:42:48 EDT 2002

Tyler,

  We've done the same thing.  There's an admin tool to recurse thru the file
system and load the database, and a client tool to use the information in
the database and access the data.  Currently we've built only one client
tool, an ArcView 3.x extension that will automatically find the data for
your area of interest and create themes (very similar to Armin Burger's
MapServer ArcView extension).

Things we've found useful to put in the database:
    - categorize the data (e.g. 1:24k DRGs, 30 m Landsat, 1998 Census/Tiger,
etc)
    - record the coordinate system of each dataset (EPSG numbers are great)
    - other things: display order, scale, file type, revision, symbology,
offline,...

Things I'd like to do:
    - automatically create shapefiles of the datasets and use MapServer show
the distribution of data
    - build a client/server ArcView extension with MapServer as the back-end
(gotta have that 24-bit output!)
    - add more data types

There are some commercial tools out there (ArcCatalog, etc) and other
initiatives (FGDC, OGC) for cataloging and accessing distributed data.

Brent Fraser
GeoAnalytic Inc.
bfraser at geoanalytic.com
www.geoanalytic.com