[mapserver-users] XML mapfile?

C F gis_consultant at hotmail.com
Thu May 23 12:20:37 EDT 2002

The XML list sounds like a good idea, but I'm concerned that only XML
proponents would subscribe.... then there'd be nobody to argue with.
Where's the fun?  Now for the fun...
XML was not "designed" to be be manually edited by humans?  What has that
got to do with anything?  Whether that statement is true or not is
irrelevant.  I don't think C was "designed" for building Internet
applications.  Oh my goodness.... look where my coat is hanging... on my
door.  I better get a closet installed in my office.  If that truly is your
concern then I might point out that ArcIMS and MapGuide do use XML
configuration files.  I am by no means a promponent of ArcIMS... I'm saying
this to let people know that this isn't just some maverick idea just to be
cool and jump on the latest technology as some have suggested.  This is a
relatively recent addition to MapGuide with one of the main driving forces
behind it being that user's needed a more dynamic, on-the-fly configurable
approach to the map service....
I worked with XML for over a year in Notepad before I even tried XML editing
tools simply because I was lazy and didn't feel like installing more
software on my machine.  Editing XML by hand has NEVER been a deterrent or a
concern for me or even any of my colleagues.  We have people of all walks of
life manually editing XML.  Never has been a concern for anyone I've
known.... was surprised to hear that come up.  If you had only a day to
teach someone to write/edit XML or teach someone to write Perl, which would
you choose?  If a Java developer wanted to develop an application with
MapServer and some specific abilities that he/she needed could be
accomplished with either XML or Perl which do you think would be the choice?
I think most of those who are flatly opposed to the idea are viewing this as
us simply wanting to change the format of the mapfile file.  We don't want
to change the format just to change the format.  Having the XML option is a
proposed solution to elminate current limitations, standardize, require less
programming, improve functionality, stimulate growth.... etc etc...

I think the others simply want to hear concrete benefits you'd get from
doing something like this.... to me, this reasonable skepticism and
hopefully some of your questions have been answered by all of the
contributions to the discussion.... and much more discussion will be
required.

Okay, back to lurk mode.  BTW, does anyoone have a glossary for Internet
discussion acronyms.... "FWIW  -  IMHO and AFAIK"???