[mapserver-users] Creating an abutter's list (was: Accessing Vertices of a Shape - PHP MapScript)

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Tue Nov 19 12:32:52 EST 2002

Folks -

Daniel's proposal is for ADJACENT parcels, which tend to not be what's required in municipal applications.  The typical "abutters list" requires all parcels that have any point within them lying within some distance (say, 300 feet) of any point within the subject parcel.  In densely subdivided areas, this may include parcels that are several parcels away from the subject parcel.

Unfortunately, the standard for such applications is pretty high.  Accidentally omitting people from a list used for sending out legal notices can be a nightmare for the municipality, so the answers need to be quite accurate, and not "close enough".

Steve, you need to get out East more often <g>.  Parcels outside of the Public Land Survey System states are anything BUT regular in shape!

Buffering seems to be the only way to go.....

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.