Thanks Re: [mapserver-users] vmap0 to shape file

Emmanuelle bultee at yahoo.fr
Wed Nov 27 04:42:00 EST 2002

Thank you for your help. We'll try again and I have very much appreciated all the help I got from the mapserver discussion group. Could you advise me where I could post or a friend of mine could post this kind of questions.
Many thanks again,
Emmanuelle
 Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote: Emmanuelle wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> There was some problem to use the ogr2ogr under windows. The command was
> unable to find the datasource [Unable to open datasource ] :-( joined
> the commands below.
>
> I am also not quite sure how can I make sure that the dbf file contains
> certain columns- such as code ISO, country names, region names.
>
> .\v0soa\vmaplv0\soamafr is the relative path of the data sources
>
> soamer is at the same level as dht. and lat. files
>
> T:\Projects\Analytix\02 Utils\Nima>ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile"
> polbnda.shp .\v0s
> oa\vmaplv0\soamafr

Emmanuelle,

You need the gltp:/vrf/ prefix on the name. You should also use a full
path to the dataset, not a relative path. Relative paths may not work
due to the nature of OGDI. I would also note that Shapefiles are the
default output format, so you don't need to select it with -f.

eg.

ogr2ogr polbnda.shp gltp:/vrf/.../v0soa/vmaplv0/soamfr

Actually, as previously noted, you will also need to select the layer
you want and rename that layer to polbnda. Please refer back to my earlier
message where I detailed how to do this.

As for what columns appear in the .dbf file ... you get whatever you get.
The only thing you can control is to force it to discard some stuff you
don't need.

PS. I don't think this discussion belongs on the mapserver list.

Best regards,

I set the clouds in motion - turn up | Frank Warmerdam, warmerdam at pobox.com