[mapserver-users] how to make the mapserv cgi work

Tyler Mitchell TMitchell at lignum.com
Tue Sep 3 12:04:47 EDT 2002

Are you able to telnet into the site and try running:
>./mapserv
to see what it tells?

                      "Blaise Picinbono"
                      <bpicinbono at esquirolcad.fr>         To:       <mapserver-users at lists.gis.umn.edu>
                      Sent by:                            cc:
                      owner-mapserver-users at lists.        Fax to:
                      gis.umn.edu                         Subject:  [mapserver-users] how to make the mapserv cgi work

                      09/02/2002 02:25 AM

Hi the list

help wanted

I'm fine with mapserver cgi working on my local server (windows and linux).
Now, Iwant to make it work on my internet site.
As the web server is running under Linux, I compile mapserver_361 (I tried
also with mapserver_362)
(./configure, make) and I put the result mapserv to my cgi-bin directory.
When I hit the cgi (http://www.mydomain/cgi-bin/mapserv), I've got a window
telling me if I want to open or download the file. I think it is because
without any extension, the server doesn't understand the script tobe an
executable.
So I change the name to mapserv.cgi; and now the sever answer me "The
server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to
complete your request".
I made sure that the cgi-bin repertory isreadable and executable for
everybody, as well as my mapserv (or mapserv.cgi) file.
I'm wondering if the trouble come from the fact my server only work with
perl script and mapserv is not written in perl.
Is it true ? Is mapserv a perl script ? If not, in which langage is it
written ?
Do you have any information about installing mapserver on remote internet
sever ?

thanks in advance
Blaise

bpicinbono at esquirolcad.fr