[mapserver-users] external links in a map

Puneet Kishor pkishor at GeoAnalytics.com
Wed Sep 4 14:30:53 EDT 2002

Hi Ian,

Now that you have told us so many times to look at geotools, I gave it a
look. ;-)

Seems nice, but I personally don't want to download it, learn it, exploit it
for now. Maybe when I get some time I will give it a whirl, but if it
involves learning Java it will get behind in my priority list very rapidly.
I am not a big fan of Java.

That said, a few responses to your comments...

while I am asking for a "smart-ish" client, I am not asking to push
Mapserver beyond any limits. I think Steve Lime has emphasized several times
that he wants to keep Mapserver lean and mean, which, I think is a most
excellent idea.

I think this "smart-ish" client can be built with clever use of mapscript
and/or some other add-ons. And, of course, there has to be some limit to the
smarts that one may want to embed in a browser-based client... otherwise
just go and use Arcview or GeoMedia... why bother with Mapserver anyway.

Btw, don't call Unix hackers "sad and old" (including yourself)... this list
is probably full of Unix-heads who would violently disagree.

Cheers,

pk/