[mapserver-users] General error message

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Sep 20 10:40:29 EDT 2002

Shaik Anwar Hussain wrote:
> Hi List,
>           We compiled mapserver on linux 7.2. The mapsever version details
> MapServer version 3.6.1 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP
> SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=TTF SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT
> INPUT=TIFF INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=JPEG INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=OGR
> INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE
>
>          Its working fine for the shape files and polyconic ratser images.
> My map file is in polyconic projection
>
> PROJECTION
>     "proj=poly"
>     "ellps=GRS80"
>     "lon_0=77.75w"
>     "lat_0=40.925n"
> END
>
>            When i load the raster image in different projection space i am
> getting the followong error message.
> msDrawRasterLayer( TIFF ): General error message. Raster reprojection
> supported only with the GDAL library.

Anwar,

As the error message indicates, reprojection of rasters is only supported
when using the GDAL driver.  The TIFF file is being handled through the
built-in MapServer TIFF support, and so it can't be reprojected.  Note that
your tile indexed layer has the same projection as the map so no reprojection
is required.

Since you already have GDAL support enabled in your configuration the key
is to convince MapServer to use it in preference to the built-in TIFF support.
One way to accomplish that is to rebuild MapServer with the configure
options "--without-tiff".

Another approach would be to translate the file into some format, like
Erdas Imagine, that is only supported by GDAL.

Note that in 3.7 MapServer automatically uses GDAL in preference to the
built-in TIFF driver in most cases.

Best regards,