[Mapserver-users] Point whitin polygon

Marc Drouin marc.drouin at fondex.ca
Tue Apr 1 08:48:13 EST 2003

--Boundary_(ID_kLI96T7fMaM8xOEo13IW2w)

Hi group,

I've searched the list for information on how to select objets by clicking
on the map.  I found that querrybypoint seems to be the way to go.  However
I'm am not sure if it will doi the work.  What i'm trying to do is select
all the polygons which includes a point selected by the user.  Like I said,
I do not know is querrybypoint will return all the polygons or just one.

Secondly, i'm using postgis to store the geometry of the polygon.  Is it
better to do the geographical search within the database using postgis
functions or use mapserver.

As you probably can tell, I'm new at this so please be indulgent.

TIA

Marc.

--Boundary_(ID_kLI96T7fMaM8xOEo13IW2w)

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=Windows-1252">
<META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="MS Exchange Server version 6.0.6249.1">
<TITLE>Point whitin polygon</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/plain format -->

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Hi group,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>I've searched the list for information on how to select objets by clicking on the map.&nbsp; I found that querrybypoint seems to be the way to go.&nbsp; However I'm am not sure if it will doi the work.&nbsp; What i'm trying to do is select all the polygons which includes a point selected by the user.&nbsp; Like I said, I do not know is querrybypoint will return all the polygons or just one.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Secondly, i'm using postgis to store the geometry of the polygon.&nbsp; Is it better to do the geographical search within the database using postgis functions or use mapserver.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>As you probably can tell, I'm new at this so please be indulgent.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>TIA</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Marc.</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_kLI96T7fMaM8xOEo13IW2w)--