[Mapserver-users] (Anti)geocoding and projections...

Krzysztof Chodak k.chodak at autoguard.pl
Fri Apr 4 15:45:56 EST 2003

Hello again,

as usual - have anyone of you got some tips...

I'm trying to make simple (anti)geocoding application (it must describe
geographic coordinates in text from available layers).
I got conceptual problems with projectioning. As my app should find a shape
nearest to given point i must be able to tell what is the actual ground
distance between this to shapes.  It will be a part of final string (f.e.
"Poland, Warsaw (10km from centre)"). Currently I use "raw" unprojected
WGS84 layers and I use standard MS functions to find closest shape - but
closest in degrees. I could use great circle calculation to find proper
distance in meters.

Do you think that degrees seach is a proper way to find closest shape?

Best regards

Krzysztof Chodak