[Mapserver-users] Re: msDrawShape(): General error message. Only polygon or line shapes can be dra

pkishor_98 pkishor at geoanalytics.com
Tue Apr 8 09:23:54 EDT 2003

--- In mapserver-users at yahoogroups.com, Maurício Pereira Reis
<mpr at d...> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Today I started getting a strange error with I try to render a
shapefile of
> polylines. If I turn the layer on I get this error: msDrawShape():
General
> error message. Only polygon or line shapes can be drawn using a line
layer
> definition  The shapefile was created in ArcView and there are two
> shapefiles in the map file that were produced the same way and work
fine.

You have errors in your shapefile... most likely an open polygon.
Arcview is more liberal about such errors and displays them anyway.
Mapserver is strict. You can do one of two things -- change your
shapetype to lines in mapserver; or find the errors in your shapefile
so you can draw them correctly as polys.

If you search these archives you will find methods and tools to find
the errors. A long time back I posted an Avenue script (written by a
colleague) that finds and deletes open polygons. I think someone else
has another tool as well.