[Mapserver-users] MapFile - DATA question

Tyler Mitchell TMitchell at lignum.com
Tue Apr 8 13:27:00 EDT 2003

Can the datapattern method be used for other data sources than simple shape
file references (i.e. used in the sql for a postgis layer?).

|---------+--------------------------------------->
|         |           "Steve Lime"                |
|         |           <steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us>|
|         |           Sent by:                    |
|         |           mapserver-users-admin at lists.|
|         |           gis.umn.edu                 |
|         |                                       |
|         |                                       |
|         |           04/08/2003 09:50 AM         |
|         |                                       |
|---------+--------------------------------------->
  |       To:       <mapserver-users at lists.gis.umn.edu>, <aaizemberg at softhome.net>                                               |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |       Fax to:                                                                                                                |
  |       Subject:  Re: [Mapserver-users] MapFile - DATA question                                                                |

I've only done it in testing and it does work just fine. However, this
feature is also a
source of concern from a security perspective, that is, allowing a user
to arbitrarily
change that data being processed. So, for versions 3.7+ there are
restrictions in place
to disable this functionality unless you explicitly need it. See the
following page on the
wiki for more details...

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?MigrationGuide

Look for the section on DATAPATTERN and TEMPLATEPATTERN.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> Ariel Aizemberg <aaizemberg at softhome.net> 04/08/03 10:40AM >>>
Hi!!!
Has anyone modified the DATA tag through the mapserv cgi params?
or the question would be: It is possible to change the DATA tag using
mapserv cgi params?

In this example, we modified the 'map size' property.

http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/var/www/html/ews/v0.7/files/map/m4.map&mode=map&map_size=450+600

We would like to change the 'DATA' property along diferent calls.
For example:

time 0:
data='the_geom from table1'

time 1:
DATA='the_geom from table2'

time 2:
DATA='the_geom from table2 where population > 100000'

etc.

Thanks in advance.

Ariel