[Mapserver-users] Error 414 (Request-URI Too Long) on IIS

Thorsten Fischer thfischer at mapmedia.de
Thu Apr 10 07:33:02 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-04-10 at 01:28, Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au wrote:

> Also,
>
> I know of at least one corporate firewall that truncates URLs
> with more than 1000 characters in them

I wished it was only one ... would make it easier to avoid it :)

On the topic of displaying the gtopo30: I do the same thing by using an
image catalog. No need for groups here, as groups can be especially
annoying with html legends (that you thought to be highly sophisticated
when you created them ...). GTOPO30 is a single layer for me. gdaltindex
works for .dem files too; do, for example, this:

# gdaltindex gtopo30.shp gtopo30/*.dem

Then you can create a layer like this:

LAYER
  NAME "gtopo30"
  TILEINDEX "gtopo30"
  TILEITEM "LOCATION" # this is the default value
END

After this, you can have an url parameter like ..&layer=gtopo30&... Look
at the MapServer Raster HOWTO for more info

hth,

thorsten