AW: [Mapserver-users] limit to image size?

Arnulf Christl CCGIS arnulf.christl at ccgis.de
Thu Apr 10 10:18:06 EDT 2003

Hi,
we are strictly OGC users, therefore I can only speak for the WMS interface.
The MapServer WMS interface seems to return images of any size and is
limited only by the hardware. We tried 10,000 by 10,000 Pixel which works
fine, provided that the hardware can swallow an extra 150MB RAM for the
mapserver process.
It can make sense to get images that large to enhance print output by
reducing the image size in the HTML page. Then a print resolution of 300 or
600 dpi directly from the browser can be achieved (although it is quite
tedious to resize symbols, texts, etc.).

Cheers Arnulf.