[Mapserver-users] problems with outputformats and raster files on a windows WMS mapserver 3.7

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Apr 10 11:05:04 EDT 2003

Paul,

You might want to answer my questions and continue this discussion privately
with a summary of your solution (assuming a resolution is reached) to the
list to cut down on "debugging" traffic.

Paul Hasenohr wrote:
> ECW : the file is created in the mapserver temp directory but not send
> to the browser. I get this error message :
>
> <?xml version='1.0' encoding="ISO-8859-1" standalone="no" ?>
> <!DOCTYPE ServiceExceptionReport SYSTEM
> "http://www.digitalearth.gov/wmt/xml/exception_1_1_0.dtd">
> <ServiceExceptionReport version="1.1.0">
> <ServiceException>
> msSaveImageGDAL(): General error message. Failed to create output ECW file.
> `D:\mapserver\web_tmp\104998407230080.img.tmp' does not exist in the
> file system,
> and is not recognised as a supported dataset name.
> </ServiceException>
> </ServiceExceptionReport>

Was a file created in D:\mapserver\web_tmp\?  It seems likely that the
ECW library is reworking the filename I provide it to match some naming
convention (perhaps stripping off everything that looks like an extension
and substituting .img).

Does shp2img work on your mapfile with the outputformat forced to ECW?

> JP2 : I would like to use wavelet compressed images (most probably ecw
> as there are more readers available for this format) and I am interested
> in the JPEG2000 format (JP2KAK). I use the GDAL library for windows
> provided with OpenEV and I can use gdal_translate.exe without any
> problem to read and write jp2 files (-of JP2KAK). With mapserver I get
> this error message...
>
> loadOutputFormat(): General error message. OUTPUTFORMAT clause
> references driver GDAL/JP2KAK, but this driver isn't configured

I presume your MapServer instance is not finding the GDAL11.DLL that
comes from the OpenEV_FW distribution.  Note, using the OpenEV_FW
version may be challenging if you have compiled MapServer with OGR, and
MapServer uses the OGR C++ API and is therefore very senstive to the
least of signatures differences between the DLL and executable.

> And my last question is related to the doc entitled MapFile Reference -
> MapServer 3.7. It is written that the "EXTENSION" keyword can be used
> but it is not recognized by the build of Mapserver I downloaded. Does it
> work under more recent releases ?
>
> I am sorry about all these questions. A few months ago, I was in an
> other company and working with mapserver on a linux computer but here,
> as I want to use ecw format, I have to work on a windows computer.....

Do you mean you get a syntax error when you use the EXTENSION keyword?  The
EXTENSION keyword was accidently omitted in the original implementation but
was added February 25th in CVS.  I don't know what version you are using
but you will need one built from CVS after that.

Best regards,