[Mapserver-users] Mapserver connectivity with Java/Perl

garre at u.washington.edu garre at u.washington.edu
Thu Apr 10 16:19:13 EDT 2003

Hi folks.  I am currently looking for a little help with how Mapserver relates to Java and Perl.

In trying to create a web-based real-time transportation map, I am debating whether to take the ArcSDE/ArcIMS rout or use a langage API (Perl or Java) and combine it with Mapserver.

To help in my decision making I was hoping several of you could direct me to any documentation or reply with any first hand knowledge of how Mapserver works with the Java and Perl programming languages.

Also, can Mapserver read directly from a database file (.dbf) that includes all necessary data and create shapefiles or does it need the standard collection of .prj, .sbn, .sbx, etc support files like those found with ESRI shapefiles?  I am an ESRI-educated individual so the functionality of Mapserver and it's connectivity with programming languages are uncharted waters from my standpoint.  I am aware that Mapserver supports ESRI shapefiles, but I am more curious about data that has not yet been formatted into a .shp file.

If anybody has code samples of Mapserver using Java or Perl it would be of GREAT help.

Many thanks in advance!

Justin Garre
University of Washington
garre at u.washington.edu