[Mapserver-users] User control

Arnulf Christl CCGIS arnulf.christl at ccgis.de
Fri Apr 11 03:42:32 EDT 2003

Hello,
we are using a PHP implemented WMS client with integrated user management.
That provides for controlling access restrictions on projects/servers (you
name it) for individuals or groups down to whether or not one layer in a
service can be turned on/off or can be queried or not.
To restrict parts of a map as far as I know you will have to break the data
up and create separate projects for each spatial extension. For those
individuals or groups who own permissions to access all maps several WMS
services can be overlayed. To make this more practicable we combine them
into a virtual WMS Service which we call "container". Basically what we do
is use the OGC Web Map Context Document to manage services.
In another case we digitized several "clipping regions" (white areas) which
only can be de/activated by the GIS administrator and do not appear as
clickable layers in the client GUI (again controlled by the user
management).

Regards, Arnulf.