[Mapserver-users] can't install ...still

Vincent Schut schut at sarvision.com
Tue Apr 15 03:46:51 EDT 2003

Dendi,

some things about installing mapserver:
- do not use 'make install'. It will give you trouble when you compile a newer
version of mapserver later, as this new version will then link against the
old libmap.a. Instead, just copy the mapserv executable to your cgi-bin
directory, and eventual mapscript flavours to their apropriate dirs.
- A guess that you do not need - in fact should not - copy or move libmap.a
and include files to anywhere. There are no applications that I know that
link against mapserver and thus would need this, and it might give you the
same problems as above mentioned when using 'make install'. AFAIK, the
mapserver/mapscript binaries are all linked statically against libmap.a, so
after compiling it is not needed anywhere. There are quite some posts about
people having weird troubles upgrading mapserver, till they found out that
some time long ago they once did 'make install' and that's why mapserver did
not work anymore for them...
About getting started, there's a lot of documentation and examples on the
website. It all depends on what you want and how you intend to use mapserver.
Please check that out.

Regards,
Vincent Schut.