[Mapserver-users] 3.7 nightly and python/mapscript errors

Sean Gillies sgillies at frii.com
Tue Apr 15 10:42:54 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, April 15, 2003, at 12:36  AM, Jerritt Collord wrote:

>> saveImage() is long gone from the nightly MapScript.  Use save().
>> Your script then would be something like:
>
> Superb! works. The only documentation I could find was examples on this
> list and I didn't know better that to try this obsoleted function.
> Calling a function that doesn't exist certainly would produce a SWIG
> error.
>
>> Take a look at the latest (3.7) documentation regarding map
>> outputformats and you'll see how to set the transparency and
>> such to suit your needs.
>
> Will do, thank you.
>
>> Also, don't forget that the Python MapScript has a saveToString()
>> method which Perl has not.  Comes in handy when you'd like to
>> have image data in memory rather than on disk.
>>
>>    image_string = myimage.saveToString()
>
> This is a cool feature.... but it segfaults for me. I can't make much
> out of the strace.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jerritt

Jerritt,

Since I've seen no segfaults from saveToString() on Win32, Linux,
or OS X, I suspect that it may be your GD library.  What version
are you using?  You will need version 2 of the GD library
to take advantage of many new features in the nightly (3.7)
MapServer.  I'm using 2.0.11 and the MapServer developers are
using this, or more recent.

I have an interest in stomping out any bugs in the Python MapScript,
so if you sent me the trace I would look it over.

cheers,
Sean

--
Sean Gillies