[Mapserver-users] rotating symbols

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Mon Apr 28 15:02:01 EDT 2003

Kevin,

  I don't know of anyone working on this problem.  I did a slight
enhancement to the Mapserver 3.7 code about 6 weeks ago to enable the
outlining of TrueType symbols.  We were also interested in enabling the
rotation of TrueType symbols (just as Labels may be rotated) but had to use
a work-around instead, due to time constraints.

  At the very least it would require the addition of a keyword to the map
file (ANGLEITEM in the LAYER object, or in the CLASS object for even more
control).

  The work-around we used was eight class objects (north, northeast, east,
etc), each assigning a different symbol based on a heading attribute value
in the shapefile.  If the data source is a PostGIS database a better
work-around might be a case clause in the DATA object (see
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/data2/wilma/mapserver-users/0211/msg00299.html)

Brent Fraser
bfraser at geoanalytic.com