[Mapserver-users] classifying raster maps with more than 50 classes

Jan Hartmann jhart at frw.uva.nl
Tue Apr 29 08:55:17 EDT 2003

Hello list,

I'm trying to display some world gridded data (elevation, population,
satellite) with user defined color ramps. All data are resampled to
GeoTiff rasters with 256 values and a colormap. The colors are adequate
for initial display, but I would like to give the user the option to
choose between different predefined color maps (greyscale, equalized,
different color panels). In Grass this is very simple: just adapt the
color table. With MapServer I am able to create classes for the colors I
need, but this is limited to a total of 50 and I have the impression
that evaluating so many class-expressions is not very fast. Is there a
possibility to adapt the colormap in a GDAL file directly before
rendering it? It doesn't have to be within MapServer; a command line
utility would be usable too.  I just don't want to duplicate the raster
file for every color scheme I need.

Jan