[Mapserver-users] RedHat 9.0 Compile

Vincent Schut schut at sarvision.com
Tue Apr 29 11:16:09 EDT 2003

Root,

Quoting Frank Warmerdam in an earlier reply to another one who had this
problem too (there were lots of them...):

<start quote>
Just in case it isn't in other responses from earlier, a solution to this
(presumably) is to use the C++ compiler as the linker instead of the C
compiler.  This can be accomplished by editing the makefile and changing
"LD=gcc" to "LD=c++" or more generally to "LD=$(CXX)".  Or just do the
same on the command line "make LD=c++".

Presumably the 3.7 configure scripts will produce a Makefile with this
done if they don't already.

Actually, I don't get this error myself on Red Hat 8, with gcc 3.2.  It would
appear to be because the libgdal.1.1.so is already linked against
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5 which provides the C++ support.

If anyone running into this problem finds that my suggested change to LD
does not solve their problem, I would encourage them to contact me directly
by email, and we will resolve the problem and I will try to see the fix gets
into 3.7 (and perhaps a 3.6.5) if it has not already.

PS. If you don't need OGR just configure without it and you won't run into
this problem.
<end quote>

BTW you can search the mapserver-users list archives here:
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wilma/mapserver-users . It can save you
a lot of trouble doing so because lots of errors have been encountered before
and discussed (and resolved) on the mailing list...

Regards,