[Mapserver-users] phpmapscript and fastcgi (more headaches)

poff poff at sixbit.org
Wed Aug 20 12:31:49 EDT 2003

Hello All

I posted recently that I was successful in setting up php mapscript to owrk
under a commercial host (hence minimal access) running php as an apache
module.

Now I need to mirror that configuration on my local (windows) testing
server.

Lenghty as it sounds, this is necessary.

So I managed to get php SAPI running under windows, and finally to get cgi
pointing to exactly the same paths as on the linux host.

Why you ask? uploading instantly, instead of changing paths etc.

Anyway, after all that success, I load the extension only to find:

Fatal error: Due to thread-safety problems, php_mapscript cannot be used as
a 'cgi-fcgi' module. You will have to reconfigure your PHP as a CGI to run
this version of MapScript.

I'm guessing the mapscript.dll checks that it's using cgi, and neglects to
check for cgi-fcgi which is the windows brand of cgi.

Is it possible to remedy this?

Even a quick fix for mapscript_36.dll will help to get this server running.

I cannot recompile php on windows, as I do not have windows compiler tools.

Cygwin is horrifically slow, and means I would have to download all the
unix sources for libjpeg, gd etc. which time does not allow on my dialup
connection.

When this is all done I will write an extensive tutorial and stick it on my
site (or Wiki).

Thank you,
poff at sixbit.org

Please do not carbon copy replies