[Mapserver-users] Repost: Oracle Spatial: A tip and a request

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Dec 9 09:01:49 EST 2003

bartvde at xs4all.nl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> building OGR with Oracle Spatial does not require different Mapserver
> binaries as far as I know. This requires a different build of gdal11.dll.
>
> It is fairly easy to compile gdal/ogr on Windows. There is a perfect
> makefile for it.
>
> I have built a binary, but it is smaller than the one delivered with
> mapserver, so perhaps I am missing out on some of the other formats. But I
> think this one includes Oracle Spatial support.
>
> If you want I can give you a gdal11.dll which includes Oracle Spatial,
> although ofcourse untested. You can download it from:
>
> http://www.vz.geodan.nl/users/bart/gdal11.dll
>
> A question to Frank Warmerdam: does compiling in Oracle Spatial support
> into OGR mean only setting the ORACLE_HOME environment variable to a
> Oracle client on my machine?

Bart,

The Oracle client DLLs would need to be in the path.  I am not sure that
ORACLE_HOME is required.

> BTW: I would be quite interested to see a performance test on the two
> options (native Mapserver Oracle Spatial / OGR Oracle Spatial). And I am
> willing to provide some spare time for this. So contact me if you need
> help.

That would be interesting but there is every reason to believe that
the native mapserver oracle spatial driver will be faster.  It avoids a
whole layer of translation (to/from OGR features) and I think it also
only requests the attributes actually desired instead of all of them
which the OGR driver will do.  Nevertheless, I would be interested if this
makes a major difference or not.

Best regards,