FW: [Mapserver-users] RE: Topozone in the news ..

Lowther, David W dlowther at ou.edu
Tue Dec 9 12:13:22 EST 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: Raymond B Fox [mailto:rfox at usgs.gov]
Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2003 10:45 AM
To: Lowther, David W
Cc: mapserver
Subject: RE: [Mapserver-users] RE: Topozone in the news ..

That is correct.  USGS has The National Map partnerships with all levels of
government;  state, local and regional.    The preference I have with
partnering at the state level is for two reasons.  One are the shear numbers
of local governments I would  have to deal with,  and as you may know a
partnership doesn't come about from one meeting but takes time and personal
effort.  The other reason is that I think it is in our (USGS) interest to
see the state GIS coordinating committee's strong and effective.  These GIS
committee's include local as well as federal participation, and serve as the
focal point for GIS within the state.  If I can help convince regional and
local governments to work more closely with the coordinating committee then
I have a better idea on what is needed.  By having the state GIS
clearinghouse the node that  local and regional agencies use to access The
National Map, the state clearinghouse does its job better, and we all
benefit.

That being said, I am more that willing to work with local and regional
agencies if they prefer to work directly with us.  My job is to get the best
possible data available for The National Map and I am eager to make this
happen in a timely manner.

For those that don't know me, I am the USGS Geography liaison for Oklahoma,
Nebraska, and Missouri.  I also represent USGS with MAGIC which is hosting
our state mapping workshop as part of the MAGIC Symposium April 18-22. Hope
you all make arrangements to make the workshop and symposium.

                         Ray Fox
                         USGS Mid-Continent Mapping Center
                         1400 Independence Rd
                          Rolla, MO  65401
                          573-308-3744
                          fax: 573-308-3652
                          rfox at usgs.gov

                      "Lowther, David

                      W"                       To:       mapserver
<mapserver-users at lists.gis.umn.edu>
                      <dlowther at ou.edu>        cc:

                                               Subject:  RE:
[Mapserver-users] RE: Topozone in the news ..
                      12/09/2003 09:22

                      AM

The way I understand it, the USGS is willing to partner with agencies
smaller than the state level, but would prefer if larger agencies (states,
regional associations) broker for the smaller agencies. The USGS wants the
best data and they know the source of the best data is usually small
organizations - whether they are municipalities, counties, etc...

Any USGS folks following the list that would care to comment?

Dave