[Mapserver-users] Storing database connections in a CGI session

Bart van den Eijnden bartvde at xs4all.nl
Tue Dec 9 13:45:33 EST 2003

Hi Richard,

what is the absolute difference in performance (time) between Mapserver en
ArcIMS? And can you tell some more about how you did the tests (number of
concurrent users, which tool etc.)?

I think the difference is not only in the database connection, but also in
the caching of data. Although I do not know how ArcIMS works exactly
behind the scenes ofcourse.

An alternative to CGI sessions is the fastcgi approach. Frank Warmerdam
did some work on this a few months ago, but I don't know if there any
useable results.

See also:
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?FastCGI

Best regards,