[Mapserver-users] how to use HTML Legends with Steve Lime's DHTML interface

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Thu Dec 11 18:23:33 EST 2003

Hi Emilio: I'm working on something similar. Just haven't had time to
make progress. Basically I was thinking of a dLegend object. Like the
dBox interface I would use an anchor image to place a DTHML layer
containing (with scrollbars) on a page. The layer would contain exactly
what you mention below, an HTML legend. There's a good example of such a
control at cbs.sportsline.com, the scores at a glance tool. I want to
implement it using the same library (CBE) as dBox uses.

Bottom line, I have no solution for you, only an idea. If you make
progress please let me know.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> Emilio Mayorga <emiliom at u.washington.edu> 12/11/2003 2:49:02 PM

I've implemented Steve Lime's DHTML interface with dBox (javascript
rubber band). It's working great (thanks!).

Now I'd like to add an HTML legend. I can get my map file to generate
the HTML for the legend using a stand-alone CGI line; that seems to
work
fine. But I can't figure out how to use that line to insert the HTML
into my web page.

I know some DHTML/DOM/javascript. What I'd like to know is how to take

the result of something like:
http://mysite/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/var/www/html/mymapfile.map&mode=legend

and insert it into a web page, without using Frames.

Thanks for your help. Cheers,

-Emilio Mayorga