[Mapserver-users] WFS Server Configuration

Van Ulden, Joost jvanulde at nrcan.gc.ca
Tue Dec 16 13:17:04 EST 2003

Could someone please clarify what exactly the "wfs_geometry_element_name"
metadata element is supposed to do?  Where is "MS_GEOMETRY" set?

For some reason I am getting nothing back from the server when I query all
properties of all instances of a feature type.  Any suggestions?  I am using
a shapefile.

This is what the documentation states:
wfs_geometry_element_name
Name of the element (i.e. attribute) to use for the geometry in GML output.
If not set then "MS_GEOMETRY" will be used. The layer-level
"wfs_geometry_element_name" takes precedence over this value.

Here is the DescribeFeatureType results for my shapefile:
<complexType name="amsco_Type">
    <complexContent>
      <extension base="gml:AbstractFeatureType">
        <sequence>
          <element name="MS_GEOMETRY"
                   type="gml:PolygonPropertyType"
                   nillable="false" />
          <element name="AREA" type="string" />
          <element name="PERIMETER" type="string" />
          <element name="AMSCO_" type="string" />
          <element name="AMSCO_ID" type="string" />
          <element name="ID" type="string" />
          <element name="SYMBOL" type="string" />
          <element name="LABEL" type="string" />
          <element name="R" type="string" />
          <element name="G" type="string" />
          <element name="B" type="string" />
          <element name="RGB" type="string" />
        </sequence>
      </extension>
    </complexContent>
  </complexType>

Cheers,

Joost van Ulden
Programmer/Analyst
Natural Resources Canada / Ressources naturelles Canada
Geological Survey of Canada / Commission geologique du Canada
101 - 605 Robson Street / 101 - 605 rue Robson
Vancouver, B.C. / Vancouver (C.-B.)
V6B 5J3
Office/Bureau:  604.666.7525
fax/telecopieur: 604.666.1124