[Mapserver-users] time support

Dean Gadoury gadoury at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Dec 16 15:19:12 EST 2003

Tom,
Here is a simple case in which we could request data by time. We add a
time parameter on the WMS URL, for example:
http://server/cgi-bin/servicename?version=1.1.0&request=getmap&time=2003-12-01%2012:00:00

In the map file on the server we would have an expression in a FILTER in
a layer, but this could also work with an expression in a class. For
example for a shapefile we could have something like:

  FILTERITEM "TIME"  # where time is the name of the time column in the
shapefile's dbf
  FILTER "%time%"       # this substitutes the value that is given on
the query string, in this case 2003-12-01 12:00:00  (the %20 in the URL
is a space)

I used the simplest case for my expression, but any valid expression
should work. The result would be that only records matching the time
passed on the URL would be shown.

Using this method the time format doesn't really matter. In this example
its yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss. Real time support in WMS should use the time
format specified in the WMS spec: ISO 8601 "extended" format. It would
probably be a good idea to start using that now so that when real time
support is built into MapServer you won't need to change it.

I hope that helps
Dean

--

gadoury at dmsolutions.ca