[Mapserver-users] time support

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Tue Dec 16 16:28:44 EST 2003

Hi Tom: I'm not aware of, but perhaps Daniel is, any plans for direct
temporal support with WMS. There are however some peripheral activities
that may be of interest.

1) The UMN (w/Frank) are working to develop OGR drivers for
OPeNDAP/DODS servers. A GDAL driver has already been written by the DODS
folks and integration tests with MapServer should be forthcoming.
Because of the nature of the datasets distributed using these types of
services the time element will become more important. I'm not sure what
that means but we'll have a better idea in the near future.

2) As part of WCS support I'm adding the notion of a temporal index to
MapServer. The idea being that you would use a tabular index (an xbase
file) to organize data within a single layer temporally and then would
specify which slice to use using some sort of a temporal id. That way
you could serve 100's of images for a common geographic area using a
single layer definition. There may well be benefits for vector data as
well.

1) and 2) are in the works and should be completed this spring. There
may certainly be other workarounds but we'd need more information about
the problem you're trying to solve.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> "Kralidis,Tom [Burlington]" <Tom.Kralidis at ec.gc.ca> 12/16/2003
11:41:26 AM >>>

Hi,

We have an activity which requires interfacing with a WMS supporting
the
TIME construct, as per ISO8601, for OGC:WMS communication with
point-based
temporal observation data.

Does MapServer support this in its WMS face?  If no, are there any
plans to
do so, and ETA?  Are there any workaround / interim solutions to do
this?

Basically looking for a state of affairs w.r.t. this issue.

Thanks

..Tom