[Mapserver-users] time support

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Tue Dec 16 18:12:58 EST 2003

Do you mean TILEINDEX or the new TIMEINDEX? I could certainly see doing
filtering on the TIMEINDEX, especially as applied to non-raster data.
Using filters on tiles could certainly be done but would there be any
real practical use for the output. The new TIMEINDEX is accomanied by a
TIMEID, and the TIMEID could be interpreted as a MapServer expression so
you could process mutiple files at one time. That would be more work to
add than simply interpreting TIMEID as a single value.

I fear I'm missing your point...

Steve

Steve Lime wrote:

> 2) As part of WCS support I'm adding the notion of a temporal index
> MapServer. The idea being that you would use a tabular index (an
xbase
> file) to organize data within a single layer temporally and then
would
> specify which slice to use using some sort of a temporal id. That
way
> you could serve 100's of images for a common geographic area using a
> single layer definition. There may well be benefits for vector data
as
> well.

Steve,

How about allowing FILTER/FILTERITEM to be applied to data fields in
the
TILEINDEX? You would end up combining the spatial and temporal index
into a single file. That would do the trick without any significant
change in MapServer.

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca