[Mapserver-users] newbie ?

Michael Smith msmith at sanangelompo.org
Thu Dec 18 12:29:22 EST 2003

Hi listers,

I have mapserver 4.0 installed on windows 2000 with IIS 5.0.  I have the
basic zoom in zoom out features that come with the demo.  My question is
being new to all this MapServer stuff, what is the best approach
(programming languages or scripting language) when trying to add "custom"
features (such as adding a distance measuring tool, or the pan border
features) to MapServer.  Should I use, and I may be way off here,
javascript, php, or other language to accomplish this?

I am just trying to get an understanding of how this all goes together so I
can begin learning the correct programming or scripting language to use to
enhance MapServer.  Thanks for any info on this matter!!

Michael Smith, Planner II
City of San Angelo
Planning & Development
325.657.4210 Fax: 325.481.2648