[Mapserver-users] MapServer in a DMZ

Lowell Filak lfilak at medinaco.org
Tue Dec 23 08:43:38 EST 2003

There should be no problem keeping everything on the RH box on the
inside network.
What you will want to look into is a proxy execute for each of the
webservers.
For the Linux machine running Apache the configuration is similar to:

uncomment LoadModule proxy_module in httpd.conf
uncomment AddModule mod_proxy.c in httpd.conf
<IfModule mod_proxy.c>
ProxyRequests Off
</IfModule>

and then in the virtual host section:
ProxyPass /tmp http://inside.host/mapserver_tmp_file_dir
ProxyPassReverse /tmp http://inside.host/mapserver_tmp_file_dir
ProxyPass /cgi-bin http://inside.host/cgi-bin
ProxyPassReverse /cgi-bin http://inside.host/cgi-bin

Then the only communication port that needs to be open between any
webservers and the PostGIS/MapServer/MapScript server is 80/http because
all communication between PostGIS/MapServer/MapScript is done directly
on the RH machine.
We currently use this to keep all MapServer/MapScript load on a
dedicated box instead of the main webserver - works great.

HTH

Lowell

The following message was sent by Robert Crossley <robert at wotzhere.com>
on Tue, 23 Dec 2003 08:57:19 +1100.