[Mapserver-users] httpd-error.log: Incompatible libpng version

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Dec 23 09:41:48 EST 2003

Benjamin Thelen (CCGIS) wrote:

> [Mon Dec 22 17:03:38 2003] [error] [client 192.168.2.109] Premature end
> of script headers: /usr/local/www/cgi-bin/mapserv
> libpng warning: Application was compiled with png.h from libpng-1.0.6
> libpng warning: Application  is  running with png.c from libpng-1.2.5
> libpng error: Incompatible libpng version in application and library
>

> I have compiled mapserver --with-png=/usr/local. png.h is located in
> /usr/local/include.
>
> I suppose "Application" refers to the mapserver binary. But png.h is
> definitely version 1.2.5. So I really don't understand this error
> message telling me that mapserver was compiled with a png.h from version
> 1.0.6!?

Are you really sure that there is no other png.h anywhere on your
system, and that there was none at the time that you compiled MapServer?

Just using --with-png=/usr/local doesn't prevent the compiler from using
/usr/include/png.h if it finds one. So you really need to have only one
png.h in your system directories no matter which configure options you use.

Note that in this case the "application" that uses libpng is libgd.so,
which in turn is used by MapServer... I also think that GDAL may link in
libpng, or even carry its own internal copy, so that's another thing to
check.

> Does anybody have an idea? I have alread removed many, many packages,
> which need png and reinstalled/compiled those again. But it did not help.

About removing packages: in general you don't need to remove the older
lib completely and you can keep the runtime part of the package. You
need only to remove the "devel" part of the package which includes the
.h files and libpng.so which is a symlink to libpng.so.1.0.6. The
runtime libpng.so.1.0.6 can remain on your system and if the libs are
well configured then your old apps will continue to work without needing
a rebuild, and the old lib won't interfere with the newer apps that you
compile and that will use libpng.so.1.2.5.

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca