[Mapserver-users] Problems with new mapserver install

mapserver at digger.net mapserver at digger.net
Tue Dec 30 20:38:53 EST 2003

I just installed MapServer 4.0.1, but I'm having trouble getting it to work.  When run
from the command line, it produces this, as it should:

  This script can only be used to decode form results and
  should be initiated as a CGI process via a httpd server.

When run through the browser without any parameters, it produces this, as it should:

  No query information to decode. QUERY_STRING is set, but empty.

The problem arises when I try to use either the Itasca or Workshop demos.  Clicking
"Initialize" in the Itasca demo gives me this:

  msLoadMap(): General error message. Undefined overlay symbol "symbols/ctyhwy.gif" in class 0, style 0 of layer ctyrdln3_anno.
  msAddImageSymbol(): General error message. Unable to load GIF symbol.

The Workshop demo, on the other hand, gives me this:

  msPostMapParseOutputFormatSetup(): General error message. Unable to select IMAGETYPE 'PNG'.

Any guesses what might be wrong?

Thanks,
Dave