[Mapserver-users] Thematic Mapping

Lowther, David W dlowther at ou.edu
Mon Feb 3 15:48:42 EST 2003

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2CBC5.A2DE03D0

Here's a link to the existing app:

http://www.geo.ou.edu/botanical/ <http://www.geo.ou.edu/botanical/>

-----Original Message-----
From: Lowther, David W [mailto:dlowther at ou.edu]
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 2:47 PM
To: Mapserver-Users (mapserver-users at lists.gis.umn.edu)
Subject: [Mapserver-users] Thematic Mapping

Hi Folks,

I have an application in place for a client that returns a list of hits by
county based on search criteria. The user then has the option to map these
results shading counties with more results darker and those with less
lighter. The number of classes is set, but the current application decides
what the upper and lower bounds for each class should be based on the total
number of results. So that the class ranges fit the total number of data
elements.

My first though on moving this to mapserver was that I would need to set up
a layer with the right number of classes and set the mapfile for the
classitem. Then use the map_layername_classname_expression to set the
expression for each class. Is this the best way to do this or is there any
built in thematic mapping capability that I should check out?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

David Lowther
Software Engineer
GEO Information Systems
University of Oklahoma
dlowther at ou.edu
(405) 325-3131
 <http://www.geo.ou.edu> http://www.geo.ou.edu

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2CBC5.A2DE03D0

<HTML><HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=us-ascii">
<TITLE>Message</TITLE>

<META content="MSHTML 5.50.4922.900" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=636264820-03022003>Here's
a link to the existing app:</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN
class=636264820-03022003></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=636264820-03022003><A
href="http://www.geo.ou.edu/botanical/">http://www.geo.ou.edu/botanical/</A></SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV class=OutlookMessageHeader lang=en-us dir=ltr align=left><FONT
  face=Tahoma size=2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> Lowther, David W
  [mailto:dlowther at ou.edu] <BR><B>Sent:</B> Monday, February 03, 2003 2:47
  PM<BR><B>To:</B> Mapserver-Users
  (mapserver-users at lists.gis.umn.edu)<BR><B>Subject:</B> [Mapserver-users]
  Thematic Mapping<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
  <P><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hi Folks,</FONT> </P>
  <P><FONT face=Arial size=2>I have an application in place for a client that
  returns a list of hits by county based on search criteria. The user then has
  the option to map these results shading counties with more results darker and
  those with less lighter. The number of classes is set, but the current
  application decides what the upper and lower bounds for each class should be
  based on the total number of results. So that the class ranges fit the total
  number of data elements. </FONT></P>
  <P><FONT face=Arial size=2>My first though on moving this to mapserver was
  that I would need to set up a layer with the right number of classes and set
  the mapfile for the classitem. Then use the map_layername_classname_expression
  to set the expression for each class. Is this the best way to do this or is
  there any built in thematic mapping capability that I should check
  out?</FONT></P>
  <P><FONT face=Arial size=2>Any other suggestions would be greatly
  appreciated.</FONT> </P>
  <P><FONT face=Arial size=2>David Lowther</FONT> <BR><FONT face=Arial
  size=2>Software Engineer</FONT> <BR><FONT face=Arial size=2>GEO Information
  Systems</FONT> <BR><FONT face=Arial size=2>University of Oklahoma</FONT>
  <BR><FONT face=Arial size=2>dlowther at ou.edu</FONT> <BR><FONT face=Arial
  size=2>(405) 325-3131</FONT> <BR><A href="http://www.geo.ou.edu"><U><FONT
  face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>http://www.geo.ou.edu</FONT></U></A>
  </P><BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>