[Mapserver-users] problem on symbol rendering from a truetype font

Roberto_Santinelli Roberto.Santinelli at pg.infn.it
Wed Feb 5 10:08:08 EST 2003

HI every body,
just today i understood a nice way to solve my problem about the rendering of
symbol from ArcView to MapServer but, as you know, a solution would imply a lot
of many other problem.....exactly like chinese box.
Ok let me try to explain you my topic.
I have the need to convert an arcview pallette (avp) in to a ttf file
(TrueTypeFont).
(BY THE WAY, there is someone knowing how to do.....)

Let me suppose now i ' m able to have a true type font from ArcView and let me
show you the following piece of my map file:

LAYER
 NAME capitals
 TYPE POINT
 STATUS ON
 DATA Center.shp
   CLASS
    SYMBOL 'natcap'
    NAME 'capitals'
    COLOR 255 255 0
    OUTLINE COLOR 0 0 0
   END
END

SYMBOL
 NAME 'natcap'
 TYPE TRUETYPE
 FONT WEATHER
 FILLED TRUE
 ANTIALIAS TRUE
 CHARACTER ""  #this choise is pretty random!
END

--**********--------------------
The FONT WEATHER is correcly setted and also it's present in my font.list file.
I also put all the ttf file in the same subdirectory as well as font.list
file.

The problem:
MS is unable to display my capitals. I have a completly wide
windows.
I also tried other way. For examle replaced this symbol definition with
the following:
*---------------------
SYMBOL
 Name 'natcap'
 TYPE PIXMAP
 Images 'symbols/images/centri.gif'
END
*---------------------
In this case it display correctly all my capitals.

Dues to the fact i had also problem in the visualization of legend using
truetype font, i changed my Mapserver passing from 3.7 to 3.6 (with GDAL
support, essential for my purpose).
Now i'm able to see my legend with arial-bold font,but not yet able to display
my capitals, even if the Weather.ttf file is present.

Some suggestions?

 How to do?

Thanks again in advance for your help

All the best