[Mapserver-users] MapScript 3.7 on Windows - CGI problems

Lars V. Nielsen LVN at gispro.dk
Sat Feb 8 15:21:35 EST 2003

Hi,

First I'd like to thank DM Solutions for releasing a 3.7 development version of MapScript Feb 6th. It was long missed :-)

However, I can seem to get it to run on my Win2000 machine, and the Mapserver Wiki explanation doesn't seem to cover this error. The
error message reads:

Fatal error: Due to thread-safety problems, php_mapscript cannot be used as a 'cgi-fcgi' module. You will have to reconfigure your
PHP as a CGI to run this version of MapScript. See http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?PHPMapScriptCGI. in C:\...\map.php
on line 91

MapScript 3.7 apparently requires PHP 4.3.0, so I've had to upgrade that as well (I was happily using 4.2.3). And I _have_ solved
the issue about how to run PHP as CGI (on Apache 1.3.27 btw.), and I _can_ get a simple script that loads php_mapscript_37 and calls
phpinfo() to work just fine. However, when I dig into a real mapping script, it fails (only) when ms_newMapObj is called, issuing
the above error message.

The referenced Wiki document + the similar referenced Php.net document referenced from it, both deal with how to run PHP as CGI, but
that was solved fairly easily. There apparently exists some extra information I need to insert in php.ini (or httpd.conf??) about
this MapScript version !? I was happy running PHP 4.2.3 and MapScript 3.6.3 (as CGI) with the same Apache version, and thought
(hoped!) that I only had to change the reference to the Php.exe program. But no.

Please enlighten me, so I can get this version up and running fast. I'm eager to test the 24 bit color rendering.

TIA

Best regards/Med venlig hilsen
Lars V. Nielsen
GisPro, Denmark