[Mapserver-users] use of FILTER and FILTERITEM

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Mon Feb 10 15:00:59 EST 2003

With 3.6 their use is two-fold:

1) they are used to specify vendor specific pre-processing based on attributes
2) they are used for attribute queries

Because this I think it gets kind of confusing. In 3.7 they are used solely for vendor specific pre-processing. This
means that you can have PostGIS or SDE do some SQL filtering before the results are even passed to MapServer.
There can be significant performance gains by using their SQL engines.

Attribute queries use a new method of setting attribute filters that should be much more straight forward than
in 3.6 from either the CGI or a scripting language.

Does that help?

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> <Peter.Bruton at ccrs.nrcan.gc.ca> 02/10/03 07:11AM >>>
Hello;

What exactly are FILTER and FILTERITEM used for?  I have already looked at
the online documentation and read many email postings on their use.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Peter Bruton
GeoAccess Division
Canada Centre for Remote Sensing