[Mapserver-users] layer STATUS as CGI parameter

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Thu Feb 13 14:04:23 EST 2003

With the MapServer CGI all layers are OFF (except for DEFAULTs) and must
explicitly
turned on with the layer CGI layer parameter. So, to turn on counties
you'd use
layer=counties and so on...

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> richard hornsby <rhornsby at io.osuedc.org> 02/12/03 06:56PM >>>

[ OT: thanks for your very thorough reply last week(?) regarding label
placement and the scanline method, Steve. ]

I was able to turn layers on and off for a few minutes via the URL,
and
now I'm utterly confused as to why it isn't working.  The only way I
can
get layers to show up is to set them to DEFAULT in the map file, ie ON
doesn't turn them on, which doesn't give me the ability to turn the
layer
OFF on the URL.

I've tried referencing the layers both by index and name to no avail.

A (working) sample URL goes like this:

http://io.osuedc.org/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/usr/local/apache/htdocs/mapserv/ohio/senatezoom.map&district=01&mode=itemquerymap&mapext=shapes&qlayer=DISTRICT&map_counties=ON

If the county outlines are turned on, it should look like this:

   http://io.osuedc.org/mapserv/ohio/withlines.png

the mapfile goes like so:

MAP
 NAME senatezoom
 EXTENT -84.820159 38.403202 -80.518693 41.977523
 SIZE 300 300
 SHAPEPATH "/usr/local/apache/htdocs/mapserv/ohio/data"
 FONTSET "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Truetype/fonts.list"

WEB
 IMAGEPATH "/usr/local/apache/htdocs/tmp/"
 IMAGEURL "/tmp/"
END

 QUERYMAP
  STATUS ON
  STYLE HILITE
  COLOR 132 31 31
  OUTLINECOLOR -1 -1 -1
 END

 LAYER
  NAME DISTRICT
  DATA ohiosenate
  STATUS ON
  TYPE POLYGON
  FILTERITEM DISTRICT
  FILTER "%district%"
  CLASS
   COLOR 102 164 139
   OUTLINECOLOR -1 -1 -1
   TEMPLATE senatezoom_template.html
  END # class
 END # layer

 LAYER # county outlines
  NAME counties
  DATA ohio_counties
  STATUS ON   ##### changing this to DEFAULT turns on the layer #####
  TYPE POLYGON
  CLASS
   COLOR -1 -1 -1
   OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0
  END
 END

 LAYER # labels
  NAME countynames
  DATA ohio_counties
  STATUS ON    ##### changing this to DEFAULT turns on the layer #####
  TYPE ANNOTATION

  LABELITEM "COUNTY"
  CLASS # labels
   LABEL
    COLOR 255 255 255
    FONT arial
    TYPE TRUETYPE
    ANTIALIAS TRUE
    SIZE 9
    POSITION CC
    PARTIALS FALSE
    FORCE FALSE
    MINDISTANCE 3
    BUFFER 3
   END # label
  END # class
 END # labels layer

END # mapfile

Certainly, I'm missing something ... ?  Thanks for pointing it out
gently ;)

-rj
osuedc

--
Information Center, n.:
        A room staffed by professional computer people whose job it is

rj hornsby . systems engineer . www.osuedc.org
human and community resource development
p 614 688 8761 . f 614 688 8762