[Mapserver-users] Can't seem to get the projection correct

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Tue Feb 18 11:41:40 EST 2003

Daniel -

You need to know what projection you're trying to emulate.  It is VERY
unlikely that any map you find in an atlas is using the "geographic"
projection you're using in your map.  The example you show from MapInfo
*might* be a Mercator projection (which you might commonly find in
atlases, too), which STRETCHES areas near the poles (i.e. Greenland
isn't nearly as big as most people think).  That's why your unprojected
data might appear squished by comparison.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.
73 Princeton Street, Suite 305
North Chelmsford, MA  01863
Phone: (978) 251-4242  Fax: (978) 251-1396
ed at topozone.com